Heather from callmestupidbut.co.uk made these notes about Cameron’s presentation:
The final keynote comes from Cameron Moll who discusses ‘The Burdon of Being Creative’. He starts with a video he took walking around Newcastle on the night he arrived in the city. Using 2 iPads for his presentation – one for his materials and a second to write his slides live in a sketchbook app.
- He challenges the notion that being creative is coming up with something that hasn’t been done before. This is a pressure and a challenge for creative people.
- Originality is a modern invention. Previously, artists were judged by their ability to imitate others accurately.
- To be creative is to organise existing matter. A new idea is a new connection between old ideas – J Lehrer.
- He introduces a mathematical equation to define creativity – as a function of organisation and synthesizing c=ƒ(s,o)
- Moll states that ‘grit’ is greater than talent where grit = passion + persistence + execution.
- He reminds us that creativity is a verb – a doing word, it requires work.